Health & Community Project
(Goal): To foster parent and community involvement to enhance the academic and physical well-being of students.
(Our Students): To help our students become more aware of positive choices regarding health and activity, we have many opportunities available within our school.
- Classroom Activities: For each grade level, the students are participating in healthy activities from fall walks to trying new, healthy foods. Parent and community volunteers are working with the students to make this an extra special learning experience.
- Family Activity Night: Parent volunteers are also currently working to coordinate a healthy family activity night at Southwest Elementary School.
- End of the Year Activity: To include all of our elementary schools and celebrate the successes of making healthier, more active choices, we are planning an All School End of the Year Activity.
- Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years. For children ages 6-11, 6.5 % in 1980 to 19.6% in 2006.
- 1 in 3 children in America are considered overweight or obese.
- 1/3 of all children born in 2000 or later will suffer from diabetes at some time in their life.
- Exercise causes oxygen to be pumped to the brain making students better able to pay attention, comprehend, and remember.
(Statistics taken from www.cdc.gov and www.letsmove.gov).
(Check this Out):
5th Grade students created this Public Service announcement.
(Great Recipe Ideas):
(Helpful Tips & Articles):