Facts about our schoolsA BRIEF HISTORY
Taken from: Polson, Terry E.(editor), Corn, Commerce and Country Living. Moline, Illinois: Desaulniers and Company, 1968.
The first school in Geneseo was organized by colonists in 1837. It was located on the northeast corner of the square, now City Park. A frame school and church building were erected in 1838 at the present site of the Congregational Church.
Manual labor high school (1841-1848) was later called the Seminary in 1853. Central School House and the New State Graded School began in 1856.
The Union Schools of Geneseo - New Graded School and Seminary - merged on March 9, 1857 and on April 1, 1858 the Seminary was purchased. In 1866 the North Side Grade School, a 4-room brick bulding, was built. An addition to North Side School was made in 1871. The old North Side School building was destroyed by fire in January 1893, a cold night when the streets and school yard were covered with ice. Classes were held in the Evangelical and Methodist churches and in the South Side school after the fire. The South Side grade building (209 S. College) and the old High School were built in 1889-90. The North Side Grade building (211 E. Palace Row) was erected three years later.
The township high school (115 W. Pearl Street), built 1910-11, was added to in 1931-32. A junior high school was built in 1954 (700 N. State St.). It later became J. D. Darnall Sr. High School. In 2005 the name was changed to Geneseo High School. Two additions were added to this building in 1956 and 1963 at a cost of $1,800,000.
Howard Elementary School (Route 6) was built in 1960 at a cost of $140,000 and the same year East North Grade School (415 N. Russell) cost $260,000.
The consolidation of 47 school districts into one school district took place in 1948. However, the official date of existence of Unit District 228 is 1949.
There are currently 5 buildings in District 228: Geneseo High School, Geneseo Middle School, Millikin Elementary, Northside Elementary, and Southwest Elementary.
GENESEO MIDDLE SCHOOL
A list of former and current Jr. High/Middle School staff can be accessed here.
NORTHSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Northside Elementary School, located at 415 N. Russell Ave, is three blocks east of Route 82 on the corner of Wells St. and Palace Row. The original North Side Grade School, a four room brick building situated in the center of a city block, was built in 1866 and was destroyed by fire in 1893. Three years later a new North Side Grade School, a large stone two-story building, was erected and served as an elementary school for over 60 years. In 1960 another school building was constructed on the same block and became known as East North Grade School. Then in 1968, North Side Grade School was demolished; and East North Grade School, with classroom additions on both ends, became the current Northside Elementary School.
Currently Northside School has two sections each of Kindergarten through fifth grade serving approximately 290 students. Special services include Title 1 Reading, Social Work Services, LD Resource, Emotionally Disturbed, and Hearing Impaired. We are proud of our outstanding parental and community involvement through PTA, Junior Achievement, and a volunteer program. In addition to a strong emphasis on the core subjects, students participate in Art, Music, Physical Education, Library and Technology Classes. Northside has a state of the art computer lab, and each classroom has T-1 Internet Access. More Northside history.
Fun Facts about the city of Geneseo: Geneseo City History